Tuesday, September 21, 2010

:::from the drafts folder -- goodbye mums (semi-finished):::

While I was messing with my blog today, I realized that I have a lot of drafts in the bullpen that I never posted. Hmm. Let's clear some of these out over the next few weeks.

First up, ':::goodbye mums:::' back from July 3, 2009, when I was still lower-casing. I never fully finished this post, but I think it stands up enough as it is, so, here you go.

****************************************************


my mom and i had a great time during her visit. since we have very similar personalities, our time together is always calm and relaxed and we just sort of do whatever. it's always important for me that the focus is on what she wants to do, since she spent most of our family vacations doing things that would keep us interested.

this trip was the first time that i had the power of the purse during one of her visits. it felt good to finally be at a place where i can viably handle the fun extravagances of a vacation. what a confidence boost it was to show one of my parents that even though i am still dumb with money, i still had enough to treat them to things. that confidence has been a shot in the arm and has led me to greater appreciation for my ability to work and provide for myself.

she now understands why taxis are a necessity on some days. she saw how much i walk and how wearisome commuting by foot, then train or maybe bus can be on a regular basis, especially when i'm dealing with any kind of weather and/or i have to carry things home. while i do have a weakness for cabs, some days i'm at a point mentally or physically where i can not handle trudging myself home.

i took her to work and she was able to see where i sit and meet all of my coworkers. i like it when my friends and family see my living and work situations for themselves. it makes me feel safer that they have a physical reference for the places where i spend all of my time.

since she stayed with me during most of her stay, she was able to spend time in my room and see how i had set things up. i always like showing my mom my domestic situations so that she knows that i do know how to run a household. i guess all daughters want their mothers to know that the womanly arts have been passed down to them, like a legacy of nurturing and home building continues.

{tangent -- when i went down to texas, my mom said one of the reasons she wanted to come was to see me interact with the kids. i thought it was interesting that even though she's seen me interact with a million children throughout her teaching years and my years as a babysitter, she wanted to see me with the kids in our family. i think all mothers want to know that their girls have the nurturing skills to take care of family, and they want to see familial love continue. i thought that was sweet.}

4 comments:

Jill said...

I wonder why you didn't post this way back when you wrote it. Then again, I probably have a bunch of drafts that I've forgotten as well.

I think it's nice when family and/or friends see me in different situations or places that are out of context for them. It's funny to think of how many things I do (i.e., coaching, primary) that those close to me never see.

WinnyNinny PooPoo said...

What nice smiles and happy eyes you both have!!

michelle said...

I love that it's important to you to make sure you do what your mom wants as a form of reciprocity. I'm still waiting for the day when I can treat my parents to things on vacation instead of the other way round...

It does make a difference when I can visualize my loved ones in their spaces.

annette said...

We did have a wonderful time, didn't we (once we remedied my shoe situation!).