Saturday, September 4, 2010

:::I Moved A Month Ago:::


At the end of July I moved into a studio apartment here in SW. The whole process was extremely stressful, and continues to be so. Without a car or family who can help me, I've had the character building (ahem) opportunity (ahem) of doing it all by myself. I now know, more than ever before, that there isn't anything that I can't do. Being single you gain this confidence(not the right word) as life progresses, but after having gone through all of this alone, I feel like I've reached a new level of 'I may not want to do hard things alone, but if I have to, I absolutely can.'

{Last thing you pack, first thing you unpack}

I'm working on my resume right now, as getting a better job is the next step in my 'If I Stay In DC' plan, but as soon as I get the motivation to do another arduous task, I want to document each little step that it took -- the good, bad, and ugly -- to move into this apartment. There have been a lot of tears, fears, heartaches, and stresses involved. A few happy moments too.

But, don't cry for me, Argentina. It's just life, you know? Everybody has stuff going on. And, funny thing, this morning I decided to move my bed, and I feel so much happier in this space. Ha! It's the little things, I guess.

7 comments:

Sheans said...

um, i'm going to need your new address sometime.

also, i got your message, my friend. stop calling my baby boy "Rebekah." :)

And, congratulations on the move and new apartment. I will call you later.

Jill said...

Living alone in a studio apartment sounds wonderful to me! What an adventure. And though it has been difficult, it must be totally empowering to know you absolutely can DO hard things on your own! Good for you!

Send me your address woman! And please post more pictures of your new place.

Joie said...

I know about that "confidence" you are talking about. I remember having some once, but since getting married and having two babies consecutively, I feel like a dependent weakling much of the time...I hope I find it again soon, but I'm also afraid that finding it means doing something hard and scary.(I realize the tremendous irony, as motherhood is a daunting task, but there is another side.)

bravo. bravo to you my friend.

emilysuze said...

You. Rock. That's amazing that you managed a move sans car and family to help out. What a feat!

scrambled brains said...

Lovely floors--that place has got potential!

WinnyNinny PooPoo said...

It looks roomy and pretty!!!

I was told once, change jobs every 3-4 years because even if you do the best job possible you will only receive the maximum raise and some companies have a policy about maximum increase on promotion, the only way to "jump" wages is to move jobs. Hard to do in a bad economy. Good luck on your search!

michelle said...

I just want to say a big fat DITTO to Jill's comment.

You go, girl.